Friday, December 11, 2015

Final Applique Update: Everything is coming up TULIPS

Many of you will recognize these blocks....

this has been a very long term project. You can check back and see some of the process here.

This was my "travel project" because it was easy to pack and transport.  And I finally finished enough blocks to make the size I wanted.

So I sewed the rows together, added some borders and finished the quilt top.....

then it sat in my sewing room for a very long time, because I was afraid to start quilting it!  Does that ever happen to you?  I had put so much time and effort into the hand appliqued blocks, I was afraid that I would ruin it with the quilting!

This quilt has so much negative space...and white!! So all my stitching will show!!  YIKES!!

But my DH was out of town for a couple of weeks, so I decided my goal would be to get the quilting DONE!!

Ok....now where to start??

Well, with my new found skills at feathers....I thought I could figure something out!  I started with the outer edge of the tulip pattern.  I know, I know....all the quilt police will be drawing a gasp of alarm at this faux pas!  But that is what I did....so there :)

Again, I started drawing my pattern out on paper

Once I was happy with the pattern I drew it onto the fabric with a pink quilters pencil.  Chalk wouldn't work because the fabric was white. And yes, I did test it and wash a sample first to be sure it would come out, but I was still very nervous colouring pink marks all over this!!

But all was good!

Then I worked on the centre parts of the pattern , again practicing first on paper.  I didnt use the pink pencil for these.  It got too confusing, so I actually just kept the drawing close by and went free hand (so to speak)

Not every part is exactly the same, but really, who is to know!!


I found that I could break this down into smaller segments, and just repeat them.  Not so intimidating when you take one small bite at a time!


Then on to the borders!  I wanted to try my feathers out again....so here we go!

Not perfect, but I am pretty happy with them!

And it is finished !!  I can hardly believe it myself!

This was a long time in the works...

And I think the quilting turned out well,  I guess I didnt have to worry about it for so long!!

So my tulips are in full bloom now!

My Finish!!  linking up to TGIF at Quilt Matters

6 comments:

  1. Well done. The quilting looks great and the whole quilt is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! I remember this project. Wow, so fantastic to see it done, Flo. You did such a wonderful job with it. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!!! Great feeling of success and accomplishment with this one. And your photos are just gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Flo!! The quilting is just wonderful - sometimes we have to trust our growth and skill. Yes, the photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post.really I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs.
    หนังไทยใหม่

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or just say hello....It's nice to know I am not talking to myself!